Brian Brown Nebraska Realty Ad

Support the population-we™ Movement here...

Monday, January 7, 2013

How Will YOU Act if There is a Fire?

F-I-R-E!
Recently there was a fire in an apartment complex behind our gym (LA Fitness, formerly known as Urban Active). The Hillsborough Pointe fire, reminded me of the time my husband and I wandered across a garage engulfed in flames in our old Benson neighborhood. Similar to whoever alerted firefighters to this apartment fire, we didn’t hesitate to take action. We pulled around to the front of the house. My husband jumped out of the car and ran to the door. I whipped out my cell phone and called 9-1-1. When the door opened, a kid came bolting out of the house followed by a much older lady, very shaggy German Shepard dog and little girl with pig tales (who was crying). The grandma who was babysitting had no idea of the fire.

Brian ran to the back of the house to attempt to put out the flames in the garage. All the while the young boy was in a thither. Brian and a neighbor who happened upon the blaze would soon find out why. The boy was the one who had set the fire with a firework. The flames continued to grow starting to reach the house when finally we could hear sirens in the distance. Brian and I ran to the front of the house; however, the only place to park by the fire hydrant was where we had parked. So, we jumped in the car and drove off knowing they were in safe hands.

Our intentions that night were to eat at Sizzler (this is no joke); however, the husband and I vetoed that suggestion and we were meeting my in-laws at the Outback. When we walked in and told Jan and Wayne our tale they were in disbelief. On the ride home we drove by the charred garage and noticed the siding on the south of the house had melted from the residual heat. At that moment, I told my husband we should’ve stayed and spoke to the fire department because we may have gotten a commendation or something. He took his hand away from the steering wheel and patted himself on the back. Saying, “That is all the commendation I need.”

I wanted to use this platform to thank whoever made the 911 call for their valiant effort in helping others in this Northwest Omaha apartment fire, too. You know who you are – kudos!

-population-we™ blog post by Becky Bohan Brown
© 2013 population-we, LLC 
If you enjoyed this post, make sure to leave a comment, 'Pin' or 'Like' it.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment